Military Personnel: FAQ’s for Filing Complaints

Thank you for serving in the armed forces. While you work to protect our nation, our office is working to protect you and all Mississippians from frauds, scams, and illegitimate business practices.

Military deployments are particularly stressful for families and financial worries can add to your stress. See our Pre-Deployment Tips on getting your financial affairs in order.

While you’re overseas, you may be more vulnerable to certain scams like Identity theft. Please have a look at our publication Protecting Your Good Name  which provides tips on how to protect your good name and credit rating.

You can also learn to spot and avoid particular scams by reviewing our Scams that Target Military Personnel page.

We can help
If you believe you’ve been a victim of a scam or bad business deal, we want to help. You can file a Consumer Complaint Form with our Consumer Protection Division, or call us at 1-800-281-4418 if you are within Mississippi, or 601-359-4230, if you are elsewhere.

Frequently Asked Questions

Will filing a complaint with the Consumer Protection Division of the Attorney General’s Office have an effect on my military record?
No. Complaints with our office will not go up your chain of command and we will not communicate with your chain of command unless you request us to do so. No complaint needs to be filed with the military. Please keep in mind that even though the complaint may not be registered with your chain of command, it may be necessary for you to inform your chain of command about the problem you are having.

What if I have a problem with a merchant who is located on base?
All merchants must comply with Mississippi state laws, no matter where in the state they are located. If you have a dispute with a merchant and do not feel that they are doing what they should to resolve the issue, file a complaint with our office.

What if I’m stationed in Mississippi, but I have an issue with a merchant or scam artist in a state where I was posted previously?
We may still be able to help. Call our office at 1-800-281-4418 within Mississippi or 601-359-4230 and ask to speak to someone in our Consumer Protection Division. We will listen to your problem and try to determine where you should go to get the situation addressed.

Download PDF of this page.