What are some warning signs of an abusive relationship?
Domestic abuse is most easily recognized in its physical form. However, many other behaviors can constitute abuse -- behaviors that leave no visible marks, but harm the victim emotionally or psychologically. Recognizing danger signs is often the first step towards safety. Has your intimate partner ever:
- Beaten, bitten, kicked, punched, slapped or shaken you?
- Strangled you?
- Stalked you?
- Continually criticized you?
- Manipulated you?
- Humiliated you?
- Denied you financial resources?
- Isolated you from family/friends?
- Denied you medical attention or medication?
- Threatened you with weapons?
- Threatened you with beating or with being killed?
- Threatened to commit suicide?
- Threatened your family members and/or children?
If you answered "yes" to any of these questions, you may be in an abusive relationship and should seek assistance.