The Attorney General’s Office Domestic Violence Division provides training, education and technical assistance on the topics of domestic violence, protection orders, sexual assault, stalking, dating violence and human trafficking.
The Division regularly works with law enforcement agencies, prosecutor’s offices, judges, court clerks, dispatchers, public and private school officials and resource officers, and advocacy groups in providing current and up-to-date information on state and federal laws and best practices in responding to and handling these difficult cases.
Upon request by local prosecutor’s offices, the Division can provide assistance in the prosecution of domestic violence and strangulation, stalking, sexual assault and human trafficking cases, including direct prosecution and performing research.
Division staff review state laws, policies and procedures, and work with state, local and federal officials to improve the legal system’s response to victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, stalking and human trafficking.
The Division is mandated by state law to operate and maintain the statewide MS Protection Order Registry and domestic violence offense report database and provides training and support for those programs.
The Division also houses the position of human trafficking coordinator, which is designated to develop training curricula and policies, provide education, collect data with regard to the types and extent of human trafficking within our state, and coordinate with federal, state and local authorities in combating and detecting the crime of trafficking.
In addition to these responsibilities, Division staff provides information and referrals for victims of domestic violence, stalking, sexual assault or human trafficking seeking assistance; however, the Division is not able to provide direct legal advice or engage in legal representation of individuals.
The MS Attorney General’s Office Domestic Violence Division staff serve, or have served, as members of the MS Coalition Against Domestic Violence, the Jackson Metro Sexual Assault Response Team, the MS Supreme Court Commission on Domestic Violence Proceedings, and the Governor’s Domestic Violence Task Force.
Domestic Violence FORMS:
- Petition Instructions
- Petition For Domestic Abuse Protection Order
- Law Enforcement Officers Return
- Process Servers Return
- Ex Parte Emergency Domestic Abuse Protection Order
- Order to continue hearing and extend Ex-Parte Emergency Domestic Abuse Protection Order
- Temporary Domestic Abuse Protection Order
- Final Domestic Abuse Protection Order
- Notice of Entry of Domestic Abuse Protection Order
- Order dismissing Petition for Domestic Abuse Protection Order
- Order denying Petition for Domestic Abuse Protection Order
- Order to Amend Domestic Abuse Protection Order
- Criminal Domestic Abuse Protection Order
- Notice of Bond with Conditions
To contact the Domestic Violence Division:
- P.O. Box 220
- Jackson, MS 39205-0220
- Toll Free Telephone: 800-829-6766
- Fax: 601-359-9681